Thursday, January 20, 2011

Breast Reduction

It was a month ago today that I had my surgery. A surgery that I have thought about since middle school. I can't believe that insurance okayed it! It was all at the last minute, so I didn't really prepare that much.

Let me explain. In June, when I went to see the plastic surgeon, I was only covered under Benjamin's insurance. Over a month later, his insurance approved it and I was going to pay a certain percentage of it. I picked a day when I would be on vacation from work. Then, I got a job and new insurance. My new insurance needed a lot of documentation before they would okay it. AND they let themselves take a whole 30 days before they had to approve anything. I tried to get the necessary paperwork in before the 19th of November because my surgery was on the 20th of December. Anyway, it's December 14th (a week before surgery) and I still had no clue if this thing was gonna happen or not. I had to decide if I should go to my pre-op appointment. I did go and 2 days later, I found out my surgery was approved! I was just beside myself excited. I had a whole new wardrobe to buy!

So, on the 17th, I shopped for jammies and shirts that buttoned up. On the 18th, Benjamin graduated from college. On the 19th was Benjamin's birthday. Then, it was the 20th. I was the first surgery of the day, so I had to be at the hospital by 5:30 a.m. (Benjamin was really excited about that!) I had the option of staying all night or just staying for a few hours.

I was oddly not really nervous about this surgery. When I went in to have Jordyn, I was scared that I may not come home. I was just ready to have my chest gone! I remember them giving me some anti-anxiety drug, then I got wheeled into the operating room. The anesthesiologist put an oxygen mask over my face, told me it wasn't the good stuff yet, then I woke up to the room flipping around. I say flipping, because the lights went from the ceiling to the floor. Nothing was spinning around, just flipping.

I was brought back to the same day surgery room, had a coke, and had some pain meds. I really didn't feel a whole bunch of pain. I was expecting what my first c-section was like, but it wasn't anything like that. Looking down was SO wired because I could actually SEE my stomach! I did decide I felt well enough to go home, so I made sure to stay long enough to have more pain pills (because Benjamin doesn't drive too nicely when you're cut open), and I went home.

I feel like my body is what it is supposed to be now. I was so uncomfortable in my body before the surgery. I didn't even realize how uncomfortable until after the surgery. My breast size affected everything from how I hold my arms to how I hold my children. The scabs and scars were daunting the first few days after the tape came off, but I've grown used to it. Life in my body just feels better! The best part is that I didn't really need to go and buy new clothes, my old clothes fit me better AND clothes that didn't fit before fit me now. I don't have cleavage up to my neck and I don't have to wear a camisole to hide things anymore. It is truly life changing in the best way!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Sometime you'll have to post pictures. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, before and after pics would be great to document! so glad everything went well and you can finally be comfortable in your own body. yay and congrats! my mom has always wanted to do this. would you mind sharing the criteria to get the insurance to approve it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did an insurance blog for ya Laura! I will try for pics, but I hate taking them!!! Benjamin never does a good job photographing me!

    ReplyDelete